Thursday, January 20, 2011

Just call me a “miscellaneous” nerd

I’ve been trying for ages to figure out what I wanted my first post to be. I thought, “what am I nerdy about?” and then I remembered that I’ve spent the last 24 hours watching clips, finding gifs, and reading quotes all in preparation for the return of the BEST comedy show on TV – Community.



I know what some of you are thinking – “What is this community thing you speak of? Modern Family/Glee/Big Bang/insert-comedy-show-here is the best comedy on TV! Yours wasn’t even nominated for an Emmy!” Sadly, my friends, you are right. Somehow, the genius that is Community has been overlooked by viewers and awards alike. But, critics have been gushing about this show (and begging you to watch it, like me) for ages, and it’s time you jumped on the Greendale bandwagon.

Let me lay it out for you: Community takes place at Greendale Community college. A bunch of misfits have formed a study group, and hijinks ensue every week. And I mean, come on, you can’t go wrong with a cast that includes Joel McHale (the Soup), Donald Glover (youngest writer ever for 30 Rock), John Oliver (The Daily Show), Alison Brie (Mad Men), Ken Jeong (the crazy Asian man from The Hangover), and of course, Chevy Chase. Don’t forget some of their guest stars: Betty White, Jack Black, Patton Oswalt, Owen Wilson, Anthony Michael Hall, and Tony Hale.

I wish I could give you a favorite clip, a favorite quote, even a favorite episode, but I can’t. Here’s an article with 4 quotes from the show, then THIRTEEN PAGES of fan favorites listed in the comments; http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/03/happy-birthday-community-dan-harmon-quote-a-thon/ If you want an idea of how incredibly hilarious some of these one liners are, just take a quick peruse through some of these. As for clips:


probably the most famous clip from the show.


a little bit of everyone. Comedy gold.



you get the point. Episode wise – Modern Warfare is considered the crème de la crème of Community, parodying almost every action/apocalypse movie out there while still maintaining the storyline and character development. Here’s a couple of brilliant fan-made trailers for the episode (keep in mind, Community is only half an hour long):





The show has done everything from a “bottle” episode to a Halloween zombie episode (soundtrack by ABBA) to a claymation Christmas special – complete with songs - and just about everything in between.



That may seem like a lot of links, but if I can’t convince that this show is worth half an hour of your Thursday (8 on NBC), than I have truly failed. As someone who will be unable to see any episodes for the next four months (no Hulu in Amman), I beg of you to watch this show on my behalf.

My name is Beth, and I am a NerdyGirl for Community.

1 comment:

  1. Beth is right about Community being one of the BEST comedies on TV. When I first started watching it when it premiered, I was unsure of whether or not I would like it, but now I love it. I think it's really come into its own during the second season. So watch it!
    -Olivia

    ReplyDelete