Monday, January 17, 2011

So You Wanna Raise a Geek?

by Queen Christine - Mom Geek

When I was a little girl I always bought in to the "You can be anything you want to be!" hype. I thought of all kinds of cool stuff to be, but finally settled on a favorite: A Mommy. I mean, sure, the President might be in charge of some important stuff, but Mommies *literally* make people. Although the journey to adulthood, and Mommihood was longer and way harder than I thought, I've arrived. My son is turning one this week, so I've been thinking a great deal about the sort of things about which I want him to learn; the things about which I hope he has great passion. You know, what will be the focus of his inner geek, I mean, soul. Then I thought about the kinds of things we already do with him...

Like celebrating Hothlanta for the Snowpacolypse of 2011, and I remembered what else we've already done this year...

Geeking out as a history buff...

Playing with the iPhone... just like Daddy on his iPad...

Posing as a "Super Baby" for his first IgniteATL talk...

Waiting for his first Dragon*Con pass...

Being Baby Harry Potter in the Dragon*Con Parade...

Rockin' it with Mommy as a Klingon...

Paying homage to one of the great Geek Girl's of our time as a carrot jockey... (of Cake Wrecks and Epbot fame).

Further developing a good sense of his own Super-ness...


Yeah, I figure I'm pretty much on my way to being a total Geek Mom!

1 comment:

  1. This is so much fun! When I was pregnant (with twins--who have grown up to be amazing geek girls themselves) I told everyone my "bump" was "Deadheads Under Construction". I think playing with your kids is the best thing about being a Mom. (no grandbaby pressure, honest!)

    ReplyDelete