Monday, January 17, 2011

The Map

by Shackletonia

How else will you know where you're going? The indispensable map is both a thing of beauty and an object of scorn. Beauty when it gets you where you need to go, scorn when you can't make head or tail of it. Maps have seen me through many a quagmire, and also helped to create a few.

There is an old Emirati proverb to encourage travelers: المسافر له في البحر طريق
It roughly translates to "there is always a path in the sea." However, sometimes that path can be difficult to find without a trusty map at your side.

As I begin the journey of writing for the Geek Girl Nation blog, I would like to share with you the story of one of my very favorite maps of all time.

This is a one of a kind specially drawn map to a secret waterfall in Nanu Oya, Sri Lanka. I have to admit that I nearly squealed with joy when the convenience store clerk at the train station ripped out a piece of ledger paper to draw it for me. It was accompanied by verbal instructions but I think the map is just about the coolest souvenir I could ever hope to receive. And yes, I still have it.

1 comment:

  1. Before we had a kid my husband and I used to go on adventures like this too. Just from this photo and your beloved photo it makes me want to travel with you!

    ReplyDelete